Technology at Xaverian strives to support the primary educational mission of the school while preparing our students in an ever more interconnected, online world. Technology is used throughout the curriculum to enhance communication and reinforce basic skills needed in personal and professional life.
Xaverian has been a leader in the one-to-one computing platform, providing each student with an iPad, as well as providing MacBook Airs to each of our faculty. All of our classrooms have AppleTV and Smartboards that allow our teachers to access content from around the globe in seconds while being able to provide our students not only with current events but breaking news. We have redesigned our web presence to further facilitate collaboration among our students, their parents, and our faculty and are making use of such tools as Naviance for the college application process and NetClassroom for parents to access their child’s grades, and many other such sites that allow shared discussion, team building, and a desire for knowledge for life.
Xaverian’s technology is also designed to support ISTE National Educational Technology Standards for Students, NETS.
Technology Infrastructure Highlights:
- WiFi access throughout the school building. Access to the wireless network is restricted to school owned computers and properly registered student computers.
- Every classroom is equipped with a computer, Apple TV or interactive SmartBoards and projection systems.
- The auditorium and computer labs facilitate collaboration and presentation of student work and faculty instruction.
- Increasing use of online resources and collaborative tools to facilitate communication by providing email accounts to every student and the student’s parents.
- DeMatteis Hall is our large multi-purpose room where we provide for faculty professional development as well as a variety of student centered activities.
- Our Technology Center is open daily from 8am to 4 pm for our students to conduct their research and complete assignments or study in a work-friendly environment.
- Teachers schedule their classes in the Apple lab as needed.
The Xaverian library and Tech Center both have plenty of resources and online tools to help students make the grade. They are easy to access and use and available to help with coursework and research projects! All account and logon information may be obtained from the AP for Academics or Dean of Faculty.
1. QUESTIA is an online library of books and articles as well as an entire reference set complete with a dictionary, encyclopedia, and thesaurus . It also includes digital productivity tools for highlighting text, taking notes, and generating footnotes and bibliographies. Every current student and faculty member has an account. Once you have logged on you may create your own unique username and password.
3. EBSCOHost is a collection of databases that provide premium online information resources and research tools. We currently have eight different databases that can be useful for both students and teachers.
4. SIRS is an online interface that provides integrated access to quality internet resources, documents, and full text articles from thousands of U.S. and international publications. The SIRS database includes:
- Knowledge Source: targeted resources for student research
- Renaissance: current perspectives on the Arts & Humanities– dynamic content in eight categories, exploring arts and cultures worldwide.
- Government Reporter: collects information published by and about the United States federal government.
- Researcher: delivers the pros and cons on today’s complex social issues with relevant, credible information that tells the whole story on the major questions of the day.
5. OPAC (Follett) is our digital card catalog. Books may be searched by title, author or subject. Students can instantly preview the over 11,000 titles we have available to take out. All books can be taken out for 2 weeks and of course can be renewed if a longer period of time is needed.
6. Daily Newspapers: New York Times and Wall Street Journal