Procedure and application for working papers
Meningococcal Vaccine School Requirement
As of September 1, 2016, all public and private school students entering 7th and 12th grades in New York State must be fully vaccinated against meningococcal disease in order to attend school.
The meningococcal vaccine protects against serious and sometimes deadly diseases such as meningitis (an infection of the lining of the brain and spinal cord) and sepsis (blood infections). That's why the vaccine is sometimes called the meningitis vaccine.
The vaccine is administered as a shot.
Please click here for a meningococcal disease fact sheet. For more information, please click here.
Please click here for information from the DOH regarding the Zika Virus.
Keeping Students Healthy During Cold & Flu Season
As cold and flu season is now upon us, we would like to share some of the protocols that Xaverian once again has in place to ensure the health of the students, faculty, staff, and administration. The protocols which are in place to protect individuals from transmitting the common cold and influenza are also good practices to keep in mind with the threat of ebola and enterovirus.
Please see below for protocols and recommendations from the NYC Department of Health & Mental Hygiene:
- Cover your mouth or nose when you cough or sneeze. Use a tissue or the inside of your elbow - not your hand.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based sanitizer. Xaverian offers hand sanitizer stations throughout the building. The gym, cafeteria, classrooms, and common spaces at Xaverian are cleaned and sanitized daily. Students are free to carry sanitizing wipes with them should they wish to wipe down desks prior to use throughout the day.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- If you get sick, avoid close contact with other people, and stay home from work or school until your fever has been gone for at least 24 hours (without fever-reducing medicine).
- Get the flu vaccine by calling your doctor or 311
Please see below for additional resources:
Administrators will be meeting with students to reinforce the importance of good hygiene habits during cold and flu season.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to Nurse Amy Waters at firstname.lastname@example.org or (718) 836-7100 x140.