Xaverian's Genesis Program (grades 6-8)
Genesis, Xaverian's 6-8 middle school, is dedicated to providing an engaging and challenging middle school program for academically talented girls and boys. This co-educational program is designed to develop and nurture high-level critical thinking skills and is committed to the development of the middle school student through academic excellence, extracurricular involvement, and Christian service to neighbor and community.
The Genesis program began as the brainchild of Sr. Mary Hughes, a Sister of St. Dominic, who worked for the Diocese of Brooklyn. Genesis was created for sixth, seventh and eighth grade students who were academically talented and who possessed a desire to learn in a challenging and creative academic environment. Genesis began to grow in size as word about this innovative program began to spread. Needing more space for the growing student body, the program moved from one parish school to another before eventually moving into Xaverian High School.
A few years into the new millennium, a proud new tradition was begun. Genesis, while maintaining its original mission and identity, officially became Genesis at Xaverian. As the middle school of the Xaverian community, students now had access to Xaverian’s cutting-edge computer labs, science labs, music program, and gymnasium as well as the teaching expertise of the talented Xaverian faculty.
Today, 25 years after the vision of Genesis became a reality, Genesis at Xaverian is home to 150 academically talented students and a dedicated faculty, all bound by a firm Catholic faith and a shared passion for learning. The curriculum emphasizes disciplined study, critical thinking, independent inquiry, creative expression and skilled writing.
A Genesis at Xaverian education encompasses and surpasses the standard middle school curriculum by offering:
• Enriched Theological studies including Hebrew Scriptures, Christology, and Catholic Social Justice
• New York State Regents courses and exams in Living Environment, Earth Science, and Integrated Algebra 1
• Foreign language study in Latin or Spanish
• Full-time Guidance counselors who meet regularly with each class as well as on an individual basis
• Music classes and opportunities to join Xaverian’s renowned music programs, bands and orchestras
• Enriching field trips throughout the year
• Access to all of Xaverian High School’s resources including computer labs, science labs, gymnasium, cafeteria and library
• Participation in community service initiatives and projects
• Extracurricular activities and clubs
We invite you to contact us and learn more about the tradition of excellence that is Genesis at Xaverian!
Genesis at Xaverian
7100 Shore Road
Brooklyn, New York 11209
(718) 836-7100 x 188