Yesterday, we held our final event for the fiscal year, the Heroes Golf Outing, honoring our Xaverian alumni who died in the line of duty, and those who risk their lives day in and day out to protect each of us. I can think of no better way to end our fiscal year by helping raise money for the Fortis Fund, a fund that provides some assistance to our students, the sons and daughters of our NYPD and FDNY.
As we honored our Heroes yesterday, I could not help to think of all the others that helped make this year a success. Xaverian is stronger than ever before because of our alumni, parents, and friends. On behalf of President Alesi, Deacon Kevin McCormack, our faculty, and our students, thank you for helping us make this fiscal year a success.
More importantly, thank you for empowering our students!
Our students from 6th grade through 12th grade have accomplished fantastic things both individually as well as members of a group or teams. They make us proud every day, and as members of the alumni community, I am confident you will be even prouder. Here are some of the highlights:
• The Class of 2018 received over $44 million dollars in scholarships, acceptances to 6 Ivy League universities, a Gates Foundation Scholar, and numerous Macaulay Honors acceptances.
• Our Clippers performed on the national level. Our Speech and Debate program sent 21 Clippers to Washington, DC for the National Championship tournament, with Louis Savoia '19 and Adney Silva '18 both claiming national finalist spots. Likewise, our Indoor Track and Field team sent their 4 x 400 relay to New Balance Nationals, culminating in a 3rd place win for our Clippers.
• Our Athletic program won three championship titles! The Girls Varsity soccer team won the Brooklyn / Queens "AA" Championship, our Girls Varsity Lacrosse team won the CHSAA "A" City Championship and our Boys Varsity Baseball team won the CHSAA "AA" City Championship.
• Our students proved once again the value of living a life of service to others - they were awarded the W!SE Social Impact Leadership award for their work in raising over 77 thousand dollars for St. Jude's Children's Hospital.
• The Genesis Legosmiths won 3rd place in the Strategy & Innovation category and 2nd place in Innovative Solution at the FIRST Lego League New York City Championship. This is the first time that a Genesis team has won trophies in multiple categories at the city level. The Legosmiths were also ranked 10th in robot game score!
Tomorrow, June 30, we close the books on the 2017-2018 Clipper Fund. As of today, we have 2,589 individuals who have given to the Clipper Fund. It would be great to have this number reach 3,000 donors. As of today, we have raised $1.7 million. Our goal is to reach $1.750 million. Help us end the fiscal year with the same excitement upon which it began. No gift is too small as they all make a direct impact on our students and the programming we are able to provide them.
This year has been incredibly rewarding for many reasons. But the most rewarding part has been the continuous support we have received from our alumni and current families. I know you are as proud as I am to be part of this family – the Xaverian family!
I hope you and your families have a healthy and safe summer and I look forward to seeing you at some of the events next year.
EIleen Long Chelales
Director of Advancement